As the Association’s National Director Vice President and MAL (Members-At-Large) Liaison, I welcome you to this site and invite you to read further about joining the Association of Administrative Professionals as a MAL!
WHAT ARE MALs (MEMBERS-AT-LARGE)?
MALs are an integral group of members within the Association of Administrative Professionals. This group of members is comprised of individuals who are geographically located in areas where there is currently no Association Branch. In addition to members who live from Vancouver Island to the Maritimes, we have two members who live in Bermuda and one who lives in Hong Kong.
MALs are actively encouraged to attend monthly meetings and educational seminars that may be hosted by Association Branches should the opportunity arise.
Where are our MAL members from?
We also have members from:
- North Valsayn, Trinidad
- Lagos, Nigeria
- North Valsayn, Trinidad
- Samaria, Israel
- St John’s, Antigua
- Westmount, UK (Turks and Caicos)
BENEFITS TO MALS
Source of Information – in addition to the many benefits already outlined under Benefits to Members, members receive a subscription to Executive Secretary magazine (6 publications yearly) where timely and relevant admin related information can be found
Career Opportunities – the Association works collaboratively with assisting organizations in their search for administrative professionals. These opportunities are emailed directly to members and are posted on the Members’ Only section of our web page.
Webinars – On behalf of MALs, I constantly seek out complimentary, if not cost-effective webinars and other educational opportunities that can be taken advantage of.
ForMAL Focus – MALs’ own newsletter where contributions from all members are highly encouraged (Certification Renewal points for QAA holders!).
Social Media – now a platform in some work areas that has become part of an admin role. Knowledge in social media is just as important as knowing the functionalities of Microsoft programs. Learn useful tricks that could help ease what you are told to do or explore
ForMAL Focus Newsletter and Social Media benefits center on providing MALs the following;
3) Connectivity (specific to your city or closer)
5) Network all over Canada
6) Share office values and ethics
7) Share technology techniques
VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES FOR MALS
Even though MALs are not located within close proximity to a Branch, there are many volunteer activities within the Association that MALs can participate in that may enhance their leadership skills, public speaking skills, creative skills, etc.
Participation by MALs is greatly valued on the National Board of Directors, at Annual General Meetings (including local AGM Planning Committee Liaison), Communique Editor, etc., – the opportunities for participation are many! Recently there have been several instances where MALs in the same location have worked together to create a new branch in their area . . . the possibilities are endless.
I look forward to hearing from you – please feel free to contact me at: [email protected]
Heather Gronek, BA, CCAP
National Director Vice-President & MAL Liaison
International Members – Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility requirements for international candidates interested in becoming a MAL member:
- An individual who resides outside of Canada and currently working within an administrative role for a minimum of one year (proof employment required).
- An administrative professional who would like to be connected with other administrative professionals within Canada.
- An administrative professional who is enthusiastic and passionate about the administrative field and are continuously finding ways to improve their skill sets to stay competent, competitive and current in today’s market.
- An administrative professional who continuously thrives to better themselves and continues to develop their skills to become a better leader.
- International members are not eligible to apply for the CCAP (Canadian Certified Administrative Professional) designation program.
For more information about Members-At-Large, email [email protected].